Most people in their lives have at least experienced back pain between shoulder blades. According to health experts, it is one of the common issues happening to everyone. This issue is commonly happening to people on their 30s although it is also possible that it happens to younger people. Also known as the interscapular pain, this pain can be various. It can be a sore, or a dull pain. It can also be a shooting pain or an ache. In most cases, you have nothing to worry about but if this happens quite often, you should have yourself checked. There is a possibility that you suffer from a serious condition and yet you aren’t aware of it.
Understanding the Pain
One of the most general and common symptoms include the upper back pain between shoulder blades, creating uncomfortable situation. If the issue happens only once in a while, and you notice that it happens after a certain condition (lifting heavy object, being on a wrong or uncomfortable posture for a while, etc) then your condition is perfectly normal. But if it happens suddenly when you are doing your regular activities without undergoing a certain condition, it is better to have yourself a back pain diary. When the back pain between shoulder blades happens, you can note down the date, the duration, the sensation, and such thing alike. It will help your doctor when they have to make a diagnosis.
The Possible Causes
So, what causes the pain? Well, there are several possible reasons.
- Poor posture. Not many people realize that poor posture can lead to many health issues. You see, human bodies aren’t machines. They aren’t designed to be in the same position for long hours without a break. Whether you are sitting down or standing up, you need to pay attention to the right posture and also the time duration. Having your back straight without hunching can help. If you have to sit long, take a break by standing up, walking around the area for a while, or performing minor exercises around the working desk. You may not feel the effect now but it will affect you in the future. Moreover, your posture will affect the internal organs as well. When you have a poor posture, imagine your organs being in the strange position too. If this is happening for a long time, it can lead to damages or health issues.
- Colds and Flu. These issues can happen to everyone, which involves a sense of discomfort or pain in mostly entire area of the body, including between the shoulder blades. Consider yourself lucky when it happens to you when you are having flu or colds because the pain isn’t something serious. Your body is trying to fight off the virus or bacteria and it causes your body to sore. When you recover from your illness, your pain will go away too.
- Herniated disc or the slip disc. You see, your spine has several parts and there are pads on those areas, allowing your back to do physical activities and move freely. But when you have excessive physical activities (lifting heavy things or performing strenuous exercises or doing these with the wrong posture), the pads will surely break down. The broken pads are also possible because of accidents or a certain medical condition. With proper treatment and rest, your back pain between shoulder blades issue should go away – but it will only happen if you are committed to the treatment and therapy.
The reasons for such a back issue are plenty. There are still spinal stenosis, compressed nerve, fracture, and even a heart attack. Compressed nerve, for instance, is a common issue after excessive physical actions or accidents. Frozen shoulder is the condition referring to the lack of fluids within the shoulder joints. Spinal stenosis is the condition where the canal will get narrow. Fracture is another common issue where the bones have cracked – and yet you don’t even realize it. It can be the result of accidents or excessive physical actions. As you can see, there are tons of possible reasons why you experience the back pain between shoulder blades. The best and wisest way to make sure about your condition is to have yourself checked.
Back Pain Between Shoulder Blades: The Serious Conditions
In some cases, you don’t need to worry about the back pain at all because it is the effect of some normal body conditions. However, if it gets unusual or it is getting worse or it simply won’t go away, then you need to consult a doctor. When you start feeling uncomfortable or the situation annoys you, then checking your condition will be the best solution.
When your ailments are accompanied by certain symptoms, it is just another sign that you need to have it checked. The symptoms include:
- Bloody cough
- Chest pain
- Breath shortness or difficulty to breathe
- Excessive sweating
- Light head
- Loss of vision
- Sudden speaking difficulty
- Swelling, redness, or pain in your legs
- Loss of consciousness
- Paralysis, especially on one side of the body
Back Pain Between Shoulder Blades Treatments and Solutions
The types of treatments depend on your condition and the severity of your case. If it is a common pain issue, then solutions like exercise, diet, and stretching will help. Exercise will strengthen your muscles while stretching helps them to be flexible. Diet is advised when doctors notice there is an inflammation to the body and internal change needs to be done. If the pain happens because of excessive physical activities or injury, then having enough rest should help.
If the pain is caused by injury or excessive activities, therapies can help. Your doctor can help to decide whether you need the occupational or massage therapy. Medications can be a part of the treatment. Sometimes doctor may prescribe medications alone, but sometimes they may advice you to combine it with the therapy. What about surgery? Well, it is pretty rare to have such a treatment but in some serious cases, surgery is needed. Basically, you need to talk to your doctor and have a thorough discussion about the best way to treat the back pain between shoulder blades.