You probably have heard such a thing about epidural for back pain pros and cons and yet you don’t really get it what it is all about. It is one of the alternative methods to treat the back pain. Of course, this isn’t your regular treatment to deal with common back issue. Epidural shot can only done to those having serious back problem related to their spine. We’ll get to the details soon.
Understanding Epidural Injection
Also known as ESI (Epidural Steroid Injections), this treatment is designed to alleviate the pain coming from the low back (lumbar area), the mid back (thoracic area), or the neck (cervical) spine. Such an injection should be performed by skilled and experienced doctor in order to deliver safe and effective result, especially in dealing with the pain.
As it was mentioned before, the epidural injection isn’t for any regular back pain, but the one related to the compressed or inflamed or irritated nerves on the spine. When the nerves are affected, the pain can be excruciating and it can be debilitating. Such a pain can’t be alleviated with the regular treatment – it takes a more advanced type of drug to ease off the pain. The epidural shot will calm the area, reduce the inflammation, and make the nerve function more normally. However, the injection isn’t the medicine that will solve the issue – it is mainly a treatment to make the pain less severe and less excruciating. When ESI is included, there will be the so-called epidural for back pain pros and cons.
Epidural for Back Pain Pros and Cons
As with everything, there is always the good side and not-so-good side from every action. The epidural injection is no different. So, what are the epidural for back pain pros and cons to expect?
- First of all, the shot can be super helpful in various conditions and situations although such a treatment is generally prescribed for the serious or severe cases. However, the numbers of injections should be limited – you can’t have it as many as you want. If it is within a 3-month span, then the numbers of injections shouldn’t be more than 3. If it is within a 12-month span, it shouldn’t be more than 6 shots. If the problem happens to pregnant moms, they can’t have the shots. If they are trying to get pregnant, they can’t get the shots either.
- The injection is perfect for irritated large nerves on the spine. If they are compressed, the injection will be the ideal option too.
- Despite the improvement in the pain reduction, you should be prepared for the pain increase. After the shots, it is quite normal to experience an increase pain which can last for days. You should be able to see the positive result after 7 days to 10 days – after the shots.
- Those who take the epidural injection aren’t allowed to drive, at least for the next few hours
- People who take the shots should have a controlled blood sugar or blood pressure level. If they don’t, you are exposed to a greater risk
- Although the epidural injection can be performed to obese people, the process can be difficult. It isn’t guaranteed to be effective and safe.
Always consult your doctor to find out whether epidural shot is the best solution. Knowing epidural for back pain pros and cons can also help you make a wiser decision.