Everyone has had their share of back pain for at least once in their life time but what about upper back pain when breathing deeply? Back pain can happen to everyone – whether you are complete fit or you are a couch potato. The problem can be caused by poor posture, a wrong movement, an underlying health problem, and such thing alike. Whether you spend most of your time on your feet or you spend the whole day sitting in front of your computer, your back is prone to damage and pain. So, what to know about the type of back pain and when you should be aware of it?
You need to realize that your back is the support part of the body. It is where your spine is located. Not to mention that it is responsible for different kinds of movements, such as lifting, twisting, rotating, bending, and much more. Every day, your back is exposed to different movements and elements so it isn’t very surprising if it is prone to injury. Even the simplest action like tying your shoes can lead to a sudden and sharp pain on the back.
Related Article :
- Waking up with Lower Back Pain, More Common that You Think
- Hip Labral Tear Symptoms Lower Back Pain Connections
However, the case with upper back pain when breathing deeply is more than the regular back ache, especially when it is related to breathing. The most common cause is the sprained rib. It happens when the rib touches the spine side area. When this happens, whenever you inhale an exhale, the rib cage will expand and contract, touching and rubbing the side of your spine that can lead to the pain. In some cases, it is common to experience both chest as well as upper back pain. So, what causes the sprained rib from a start?
Upper Back Pain when Breathing Deeply: Reasons
There are 4 major reasons for upper back pain when breathing deeply problems:
- Lung infection. This is a condition that can make the breathing process difficult to do. Pneumonia, for instance, can lead to breath shortness as well as feverish symptoms. If the symptoms last for longer time, the pain will also last longer.
- Injury. Whenever there is an injury happening around the chest area, it can lead to difficulty in breathing as well as pain. When you break the rib, the fracture of the broken rib will happen. Your body will continue its breathing process, no matter what, and it will cause rubbing which results in pain. The same thing will happen when you pull the muscle or bruise it. In major cases, your chest muscles are related to the muscles on the back so it is possible that when you bruise the chest, you will also experience pain on the back area whenever you breathe.
- Blood clots or pulmonary embolism. When there are clots on your respiratory track, you will suffer from breathing difficulty and also breath shortness. It can cause a discomfort or pain to the upper back muscle.
- Cardiac condition. The heart is surrounded by pericardium, a layer of tissue. Pericardium is connected to the lungs lining. When the lungs are inflamed, you can suffer from a pain on your back.
Those are some of the possible reasons for the back pain. When you want to know the exact issue of upper back pain when breathing deeply, consult your doctor to find the solution.